Pages

Friday, July 2, 2010

Hanging Storage... Pillowcase-style

It's the second round of the Iron Crafter over at Fireflies & Jellybeans! This time around, the secret ingredient was pillowcases and/or sheets.  I chose pillowcases, as you have already read above.  I wanted to make something useful, that I actually needed, and with three little girls, what I really need is storage.  Times a million.  So I decided to make some hanging bags that they could carry around and stuff with their favorite toys and stuff.  Here's what I made:


I love these, they may actually encourage the girls to pick up some of their toys!  Hmmm maybe not, but at least I now have more floor space in their rooms.  Now for the tutorial... stay with me folks, I am not the best sewing machine user, and definitely don't have technical terms for this!

To make these, I started with two long pillowcases, one for each bag.  Must be from a king set?  Not sure why I had them in my linen closet, but what the hey, I made them useful.

I took one and cut the top off.


Then I took it and folded it in half and cut it, making sure that the top piece was a little longer so that I could sew the bottom shut, and both halves would be the same size.  See?  I bet there are some good terms to use here to make it less confusing.  Good thing there are pictures, that's all I'm sayin'.


After turning the two pieces inside-out, I took the top piece that was pretty much just a tube of fabric, and sewed the bottom shut.  I did this next step to each piece.  I wanted to create "flat bottoms" on the bags, so I folded the bottom corners so that the seams were together, measured up about two inches, and sewed a seam.  Then I cut the excess fabric off of the corner.

(If that confused you, there's some better directions at instructables.... here.)

Once I did this to both bags, I turned one right-side out, and placed the inside-out bag inside, to make the lining.  I wanted to have a big, chunky hem a the top of the bag, so I folded the top over, and then folded again to hide the unfinished edges.  I pressed it with my iron and used white thread to sew two lines all the way around the top.






I thought they looked a little plain, so I grabbed my white fabric paint and a foam stamp, and randomly stamped away.


Once it dried, the flowery branch things were a little too pale for me, so I went back and filled them in with a little paint brush.  I used a different stamp on the other side, to make it kind of reversible.

Once it was totally dry, I used a thick white ribbon and some metal rings to make the handles.  I placed the ring on the middle of a strip of ribbon, folded it over, turned up the edges, pinned it to the inside of the bag, and stitched in place.  (Forgot to take a picture at this part, oops...).

Then I made another bag from the other pillowcase, hung up a wooden peg rack that I got a Michael's for $5 (just had to paint it black), and that's it!  Easy storage!

I don't know which side I like better....





Perfect for lots of toys!















Decor Mamma

Blog+Button+to+size.jpg

Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up    party!
Related Posts with Thumbnails

Search

Loading...

Keep In Touch



Follow Me!

Follow Me on Pinterest

Followers

Check 'Em Out!

About Me

My Photo
StepThruCrazy
My name is Sarah. I am a wife; the mother of three beautiful and crazy girls; a person of many interests, many that I am just finding out; and just generally me in every way.
View my complete profile

Grab My Button!